Friday, January 7

Spelling bee.

Would you name your child "Copernicas"? And, if you said yes, would it be because you can't spell, or because you like to spell things in unusual ways?

Reading the article I posted earlier on made-up names really got me thinking. I've noticed lately a real explosion of people who either invent names, or more commonly, take a relatively common name and change the spelling. I'm not trying to disparage you, if you've done this, but I want to know WHY IN THE HELL DO PEOPLE NEED TO DO THIS? Seriously, I'm trying to understand.

If you want to name your son Jeremy, why name him Jerheme, Jerame, Jeromy or Jereme? Or how about Jason? No, wait, let's make it Jassen, Jaison, or Jaysson? (Don't be swayed by the fact that many of these links lead to athletes. That's mere coincidence, I think, as they just happen to come up first on Google. I know regular folks with these names, too, but I don't want to put them on my blog.)

I can accept that there are some names for which several spellings are equally common: Haley and its various permutations is one that comes to mind. But when you name your son Jerheme, you have NOT given him an unusual name. You haven't. All you've done is insure that he will have to spell his name for Every. Single. Person. Who. Ever. Needs. To. Write. It. Down. I often have to spell my last name, and this is not a treat. Jerheme is Jerame is Jeremy. Get over it. Save the kid the trouble of spelling it over and over and over again for the next 80 years.

And the made-up names? I wonder where on earth some of them come from, and the only logical explanation I can come up with is that a few must be family names. Others, I'm not so sure. Was Plaxico a chemical company this guy's mom saw outside the hospital window? How about Laveranues? (On top of that, it's pronounced "La-ver-nee-us," when I swear it should be pronouned "La-ver-a-news." If you make up a name, how about at least spelling it the way you pronounce it? Laveranues gets bonus points for naming his son Trilion.) Naveah, anyone? (That's "heaven" spelled backward, if you're wondering.) Branaric might either be something you'd take for an ear infection, or a particularly fiber-rich breakfast cereal.

I admit, it's worked well for Beyonce and Shaq. But it's not for every Tom, Dick and Harry.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amybear said...

LOL. I agree with you. Sometimes I wonder what people were thinking when they named their children. Especially celebrities.

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home