Tuesday, December 6

Shit is pissing me off.

The Ford Motor Company has bowed to pressure from the American Family Association (yes, those bigoted wacko freaks again), and agreed to pull their advertising from gay publications. In response, I have bowed to pressure from my conscience and decided that, though I've been driving Fords for several years, I will never buy another Ford unless or until they reverse this ridiculous position. I wrote to tell them as much. Dumb asses.

I'm sick as hell of those Lexus "December to Remember" commercials. One person after another is shown browsing catalogs looking for that perfect gift. Rejecting golf clubs and cashmere sweaters (expensive, yes, but still in the hundreds of dollars, I'd imagine), each person settles instead on a FUCKING LEXUS. Why, hell, I totally understand where they're coming from. Just yesterday, I was thinking, would Lisa like a movie, or perfume, or something for the house? Well, I can't decide, so why not a $38,000 car!?! Who are these people? If we could even afford a car that expensive, it certainly wouldn't be a surprise gift. The only thing to remember about that December would be that I'd be filing bankruptcy and moving in with my sister after Lisa kicked me out of the house. So, Ford can't market a Focus to gays and lesbians for fear of offending someone, but Lexus can happily market to what must be a relatively small, smug segment of the population. Well, that offends me.

Finally, those folks who think you should LOVE LOVE LOVE your job. It's a nice idea, but I love my house and my life and I like my job, which lets me afford to live in my house and have a nice vacation once in a while. What gets me the most is the saying, "Do what you love, and the money will follow." What if you love being a social worker...does the money ever follow that?

Ok, I'm untying my horse from the bitching post and riding off into the sunset. Git along, li'l doggies.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

For us it's more like "do what you love and live with what you can based on that," seeing as we live on two teaching salaries. Sadly, they are good as teaching salaries go, and yet we still lie awake worrying about money. And I think once we have a kid it will downgrade to "do what you have to to keep a roof over your head". The jobs won't change but our opinion of them will, you know?

7:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I just say that I LOVE LOVE LOVED your rant on the damn lexus commercials? I HATE THEM! I could not have said it better.
Rock on!!

Random reader Katy.

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home