Friday, November 25

Do I look like I care?

I have friends and family members who are constantly forwarding messages to me that are always annoying, and often downright offensive. I think I may have bitched about this before, but these are people who seem to love and care for me. Yet, when they hit the FORWARD button, they must not even think for a second, "Hey, wow, this goes against everything she believes in. Ah, hell, let's send it anyway."

Lately, I've received two forwards regarding the American Family Association's boycott of Target for....well, here, let the idiot Donald Wildmon tell you himself:

Several retailers have joined in the push to ban the use of "Christmas" in their in-store promotions and retail advertising. The new push to eliminate "Christmas" and replace it with "Happy Holidays," "Season's Greetings," etc. is gaining ground with several retailers participating.

So far, this year's list includes Kmart, Sears, Kohl's, Home Depot, Lowe's, Target, Costco, and Wal-Mart.



He quotes Bill O'Reilly as saying there is an anti-Christian bias in this country, and that it's even more prevalent during the holidays. Oh, come on. Are you kidding me? The fact that at least two people I know subscribe to this bigot's bullshit frightens me.

I wouldn't sign his petition (for I am angry with Target for my own reasons, as you know). But I did send the little sweetie an e-mail:

A friend forwarded to me your ridiculous call for a boycott of Target. To say there is an anti-Christian bias in this country is laughable. To further equate a true Christian celebration of Christ's birth with ANYTHING Target chooses to put in its advertising is sacreligious. Target is, in fact, selling items to customers who celebrate many December holidays, including Kwanzaa and Hanukkah, so they are absolutely correct to offer "Seasons Greetings," which can encompass the entire holiday season, from Thanksgiving through New Year's. I am reasonably certain that the scriptures do NOT include any reference to wishing others "Merry Christmas," or to buying things at discount retailers to honor the Lord.


I'm not even religious, really. But I don't think this clown is, either.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jack Steiner said...

I agree with you. I wrote this post about my experiences with people like those you described.

3:01 AM  
Blogger Mermaidgrrrl said...

What a scream! I do love the bit about purchasing to honour the Lord. Don't you know it's the shopping that's important, not how you actually treat each other? LOL!

12:03 AM  
Blogger Susie said...

Great response!

I never know what to do about the stupid stuff people forward to me either... but it makes my blood boil so much that I actually have started writing back to at least make them aware that not everyone shares their beliefs.

And as for the subject of this one, I am a lot more concerned about the Target pharmacists who are not required to fill women's birth control prescriptions if it goes against their moral beliefs (true fact!!!).

3:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home