Tuesday, August 2

Dove, beauty and the almighty dollar.

I'm torn by the new Dove advertising campaign for their firming lotions and creams. On the positive side, the ads feature models of all sizes (well, all sizes up to size 12, that is) and these women are curvy, beautiful and REAL. It's definitely a step in the right direction.

On the other hand, as Seth Stevenson points out in Slate, the message they're sending is that you're beautiful, sure, but shouldn't your skin be just a little bit firmer? If I'm fine the way I am, why do I need your product anyway?

And, finally, on the snarky side, I make two points:

I'm a size 14. I don't know how some of these women are fitting in a size 12, and...

Dove claims these photos were not retouched. I'm not sure I believe them. Real women sometimes have stretch marks, and I'm not seeing any on those thighs.

But now I'm just being a bitch.

1 Comments:

Blogger Display said...

They're also using nearly-naked bodies (but not closeups of actual skin) to sell soap. That's my serious objection.

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home